Hot chocolate is certainly one of the most popular energy drinks during cold weather days. It elevates the mood and brings the feeling of stress down thanks to phenethylamine, which triggers the release of pleasure-inducing endorphins and dopamine in the brain.
And as any supplemental food or herb you should take cocoa during 30 days minimum in order to feel the beneficial mood improvements. There are studies which show that after 30-day cocoa consumption there were positive mood changes, including calmness and contentedness.
It’s good for your memory and focus, if you have any issues in that aspect :). You can make hot chocolate from dark cocoa powder at home for your loved ones, drop in to visit your parents and grandparents and surprise them with this delicious healthy dessert which will warm up their hearts, not just cold days.
Say bye-bye to depression and anxiety with this home made hot chocolate recipe:
Ingredients for 1 serving:
- 2 full tablespoons of cocoa powder (unsweetened)
- 1,5 cup of whole milk (preferably organic or from a local farm)
- 2 tablespoons of coconut red palm sugar (it’s unrefined, contains minerals, antioxidants and amino acids, also low glycemic)
- half a teaspoon of corn-starch for thickening (if you prefer) – it makes it rich and creamy
- spices like cardamon, cinnamon or pumpkin spice blend
Mix the cocoa powder with sugar, corn starch, spices. Bring the mix into a small saucepan and add half a cup of milk and cook the mixture whisking consistently over medium-high heat, until no lumps remain. Then add the rest of milk and bring to simmer, continue whisking until the chocolate mixture is smooth and creamy – approximately 3-4 minutes.
Top with anything you prefer.
Ladies, do not forget to surround yourself with magazines, snuggle into a cozy blanket and then enjoy your cup of hot chocolate :)!